The best expedition tents are perfect choice for those who love to go on expeditions often.
Expedition or camping can be really exciting for the people who love adventures and expediting different parts of the country, especially mountains and hills. If you are also one of them then you need one of the best tent for the expedition.
Best Expedition Tents
|Mountain Hardwear Trango Tent||4 person||5/5|
|ALPS Mountaineering Taurus Tent||5 person||4.4/5|
|Snugpak The Cave Tent||4 person||4.4/5|
|Hilleberg Soulo Mountaineering Tent||1 person||3.5/5|
|ALPS Mountaineering Extreme Tent||2 person||4.5/5|
A good quality expedition tent with durable material and excellent features is all what you need. Many people think that a backpacking tent, an expedition tent or any kind of camping tent is the same. But this is not true.
The expedition tent is a heavier version of the backpacking tent. It is definitely the best of all the camping tents available.
Best Expedition Tents
And now it it the time that you know features of these tents so your decision for getting the right tent will be easier.
Mountain Hardwear Trango 4 Tent
Weighing only 13 lbs., the Mountain Hardwear Trango 4 Tent will provide you with a floor space of 57 square feet and 50 inches peak high. This expedition tent by Mountain Hardwear is built with two vestibules, making sure that your gear doesn’t make you feel confined. The body of this tent is made of mesh and nylon and offers two mesh doors and canopy.
The canopy and mesh zippered thru-vent make sure that you have good ventilation that will make your stay comfortable. It has color-coded webbing at stake out points that make setting it up easy and convenient.
- Extremely lightweight
- Does well in any weather condition
- Direct Connection point that offers good security for the body, fly, and frame
- Good ventilation
- Color-coded webbing for easy construction
- Height can be difficult for taller people
- No ideal for backpacking due to heavier weight
- Can be a little warm in hot, muggy weather conditions
ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 5 Outfitter Tent
Another good expedition tent is the Taurus by ALPS. This tent is a free-standing, dome-style tent that offers a full coverage fly.
This tent is so easy to assemble with well-thought design regardless of its simplicity. The main material that is to make this tent is polyester and the two tent poles that come with it are made of fiberglass. The there is nothing very special about Taurus, but the overall quality of this tent is enough reason for it to deserve a spot on this list. Weighing only 7 ½ lbs., there is no doubt that it is good for expedition camping trips.
It has floor footprint dimensions are 60” x 90”, so it is fairly roomy for two persons. This tent has two doors which make it perfect for couples. It has a ceiling made of mesh which makes it a good tent for stargazing and good ventilation.
- Vents with covers that zip in if necessary
- Big thick rain fly covers the whole tent
- Made with great thicker materials and bigger zippers
- Quality of zipper could be better
- Poles could be better
Snugpak 92894 The Cave 4 Person Tent
This is a very spacious tent that comes with two inferences when the fly pitch is used. This tent is also very lightweight and offers you two doors for you to easily access the tent.
The material that is used to make this tent is polyester without mesh, which means you can assure that it is durable and offers great resistance to elements.
The NSL anodized poles and DAC feather lite maks the tent light. It has color-coded poles help that makes setting it up very easy and the poles offer a durable, stable construction.
Setting it up and packing it up is going to be so easy and it comes with a lot of guy lines and guy points for tougher construction.
- Waterproof and breathable
- Very spacious and have two doors and two vestibules
- Extremely easy to setup
- High-quality material
- Stitches could be better
- Nylon stakes could be better
- The zipper could be tougher
Hilleberg Soulo 1 Person Tent
Hilleberg Soulo 1 Person Tent is another tent you must check out, but only if you are planning to camp alone or you don’t like sharing a space with someone.
This tent is very spacious for one camper, which makes it one of the best expedition tents you will find on the market. It has an inner door that unzips along the full length, so you can assure to have good ventilation. It has an adjustable roof vent so that is perfect for any weather, and to fight condensation.
During a rainy season, it will shed water perfectly and you don’t have to worry about strong wind as it comes with vent cover that is of high quality.
- Very easy to set up
- Well-thought-off designs
- Spacious interior
- Good ventilation system
- Good headroom
- Slightly bigger when pack considering it is for a single person
- Heavier than most tents out there
ALPS Mountaineering Extreme 2 Person Tent
The last on our list is ALPS Mountaineering Extreme 2 Person Tent, but this is surely something you must check out.
This tent is a killer option if you are looking for a high-quality, free-standing aluminum pole tents. Sizing 62”x92”x42″, and weighing only 6 ½ lbs., this tent is going to make you travel comfortably.
On top of that, you can assure that you will get a tent that will protect you from the element and different types of weather. The shape of the fly that comes with it is perfect protection from wind, so you don’t have to worry about your tent turning into a sailboat when the wind condition is strong.
The three pole design even though a bit trickier compared to a standard two poles that are designed to protect yourself from the wind. This tent comes with two vestibules and two doors. It also has zippered mesh windows that are ideal for keeping you comfortable even the weather is muggy or hot. You can assure that this tent is well ventilated.
ALPS tent comes with enough aluminum stakes and guy ropes. It has an interior mesh storage pocket and a gear loft that makes this tent very reliable in keeping your stuff all organized. This tent will surely make your experience in the wild more comfortable than ever. If you want to know more about this durable tent, check this page.
- Well-thought design with high-quality materials
- Good for severe weather
- Roomy vestibule for keeping your gears organized
- Comes with two doors
- Good ventilation
- Poles are thicker than normal poles
- On the heavier side
What Is an Expedition Tent?
Before you buy an expedition tent, it is very important for you to know more about these tents and its features. This expedition camping tent is also known as five-season tent. This is because it can be used throughout the year no matter how extreme the climate gets.
It is perfect for using in extreme cold weather even when it is snowing. Thus, the people who want the best tent for the expedition to the mountains at an extreme cold climate, will find this tent absolutely perfect for themselves.
The most significant function of this tent is that it can withstand heavy snow loads as well as strong winds. So these types of tents are perfect for the winter camping.
Features of the Best Expedition Tents
There are different features of these tents which make it highly beneficial and functional for the people who are camping through whole year, especially in the winters.
The features are great for camping in extreme conditions that people might encounter while on a mountain expedition.
Some of these features are:
- Capacity: It can accommodate from 2 to 3 people in one tent at a time. This is sufficient for an expedition camping tent. You rarely get much space in mountains. Thus, this is enough for you. But if you are looking a family tent then check this article.
- Light Weight: The best thing about this tent is that it is sturdy and durable yet the packing weight is only 4 to 6 pounds. Now there are different factors for the weight to vary. If you buy the double walled tent then it will weigh slightly more than the single walled one.
- Single & Double Wall: These tents are available as single walled or double walled. Single walled tents can be space saving, light weight but the double walled tents are more comfortable.
- Vestibule Area: The expedition camping tents have at least one vestibule area. And this area varies from 8 to 20 square feet. This is something really great.
- High Peak Heights: The peak heights are quite high and thus it is great for the tall people to have a comfortable stay. The peak height can vary from one tent to another. But the height is fixed from 40 to 44 inches.
When is It Used?
These tents are not used for daily purpose. They are specially meant for winter camping and mountaineering. So, mountaineers, skiers and alpinists use these tents for their winter camping and mountain climbing.
Since these tents are made up of high quality material i.e. PU Nylon, it can withstand hard rains, strong winds, heavy snowfall and even dropping temperature. The nylon is a highly sturdy material which is better than polyester. Want to know more about these two materials? Check the nylon and polyester comparison and their different features.
So, if you are planning for a winter camping where there are chances of snow fall, heavy rainfall and extreme climatic conditions such as wind, hail storms etc., then you must buy the best expedition tent for your camping.
How to get the Best?
Of course when you are buying one for your camping, you have to make sure that you are buying the best expedition tent. It is a highly expensive tent that comes with a heavy price tag. So, you cannot take any risk of buying any and then regret.
You need to find the best expedition tent that will help you in fighting against all the extreme climatic conditions while you will be camping. You need to make sure that you check all the essential features before buying.
And these are:
1. The quality of the material: Since the main important motive of the expedition tent is to protect you from all types of harsh climatic conditions, you have to make sure that material is perfect.
Without the right material you cannot expect to get the best use of it. The material has to be a great quality PU Nylon. Ensure it is durable and also sturdy enough to protect you against the snowfall and heavy storm.
2. Enough space for vestibule: This is a very much essential thing. A large vestibule of minimum of 10 square feet is essential to make sure that you can store the essential things like cooking materials and gears. Without this you will find it hard to store them.
3. Single/Double Walls: This is completely your call that depends on the place you are visiting. Double walls provide better comfort of course but are slightly heavy in weight. Even the cost will vary.
4. Capacity of the tents: When you are buying expedition camping tents you have to make sure that the capacity of the persons accommodating is enough.
Check the square feet of the floor area of the tent. It should be enough for 2 to 3 persons easily. Otherwise it is not worthy buying.
5. Price of the tent: The expedition tents are expensive but the fact is that you need to find the right product which will justify the price you pay for it. You should not compromise on the quality looking for the most affordable one. This is an investment so try to focus on getting the best out of the money you are spending.
Are you an alpinist or skier who wants to spend some time in the mountains? If you said yes then you need to have a good shelter that will protect you and give you a good place to rest. The expedition tent is usually a five-season tent, appropriate to use in any weather conditions and also when it snows.
If you are going to the mountains, ice-fishing or where it is cold with snow, you should get the expedition tent. If you are going winter camping, choose this type of tent as it will protect you from the harsh weather.
Some of the features that you should pay attention at expedition tents are capacity, weight, the wall type, vestibule area and high pick heights. Read the details about these durable tents above in the text.
You can choose between polyester or nylon tent material. Nylon is a sturdy material which can withstand hard rains, strong winds, heavy snowfall and even dropping temperature. These tents are the most expensive among the tents on the market due to durability that is needed in extreme weather cinditions.
Consider the material quality, space for vestibule, wall type, capacity and the price when buying this tent. When buying a tent for your expedition, ask yourself what tent will protect you out there. Don’t compromise with the price as you can buy a cheaper tent that won’t provide you a peaceful sleep.
So, this is all about the best expedition tents. These tents are expensive and are also perfect for the camping in heavy weather conditions. If you want to have a safe and comfortable winter camping then you must get one of these tents for sure.
But be careful while choosing. Consider our recommendations before you go ahead and buy this type of a tent. You need to keep all the above things in mind while buying it.